Monday, January 24, 2011

Mine



I lay on my bed, breathing. I decide to pull out my old shoe box. I open the first envelope. Inside are pictures of us making mud pies and castles, and others of us dressed up: you, a super hero/cowboy; and me, a lovely princess. 
Then, after looking at every photograph, I put them back inside the envelope and grab another envelope. Inside this envelope is pictures of us dresses up for the sixth grade valentines dance. You have a few grass stains from recess football on your sunday-white shirt, and I am wearing sneakers because I dislike looking fancy/frilly. There is also pictures of us covered in sand, head to toe.
I carefully place the photos back in their envelope and pull out another one. This one has senior year. There are photos of us after running marathons. You're President of the student body. I perform in choir concerts. And of course, senior prom. We are both looking our very best- this time, you don't have any grass stains from recess football, and I am wearing heels (so that I don't look super short next to you). Both of us are smiling big.
Before I open the last, massive envelope, I gaze down at my left ring finger. I smile as my diamond reflects in the sun.

You're the best thing
 that has ever been mine.

No comments: