Monday, October 11, 2010


Today for family home evening, we all picked out our pumpkins. We haven't carved them yet, and we won't for a while, but now we have decorations to add to our porch. I never realized how much pumpkin is used in the season fall.
1) Decoration- pumpkins are carved or even just stuck out plainly for both Halloween and Thanksgiving.

2) Pumpkins are used for cooking. This is where the majority use of pumpkins is found. People make chocolate chip PUMPKIN cookies, PUMPKIN pie, PUMPKIN bread pudding, PUMPKIN bread, PUMPKIN brownies, etc.

Do you see what I mean? Pumpkins are a major part of fall, and for reasons that boggle my mind, we sometimes have a shortage of pumpkins. Not because we use them all the time but because of a bad crop. It just seems so strange to have a shortage of something, especially pumpkins. You always see masses of pumpkins at grocery stores and at little stands alongside the road. How could that be a shortage?

Every time I think of a pumpkin I think of one of my absolute favorite movies of all time (that you may find me quoting quite often.) It is You've Got Mail. Oh how I love that movie. I love the part (and this has to relate with pumpkins) where she buys a pumpkin for her store. But the thing that makes me happy is that she only buys one, small, pumpkin and not several pumpkins of several sizes. It is just simply beautiful.

Reminder: DO NOT FORGET TO BUY YOUR PUMPKINS. It is an amazing part of fall that you can't miss out on!

No comments: