Sunday, November 25, 2012

wishful thinking.



I remember my best friend in the first grade. I remember that we sat next to each other in  Mrs. Thomas' first track class. 

I remember you were easy to talk to.

I remember we ate lunch together everyday. I remember we would wait for each other when we used the bathroom before recess. You would use the bathroom on the right and I would use the bathroom on the left. I remember I usually finished first. But sometimes I would purposely take longer, just to see if you would wait for me. You always did.

I don't remember what we did at recess, but I do remember what happened in class.

I remember our classmates teased you. They teased you about us.

"Brady loves Madison, Brady loves Madison," They'd chant.

I remember you put your head on your desk and began to cry.

I remember blushing, just a little, but mostly I was confused. What were they talking about?

I remember this was the first time I began to learn what love was. Maybe not true love, but nonetheless love.

Then something sad happened. Cedar Ridge split into two schools. I stayed and you went to Deerfield. I didn't see you for a long time.

I remember the next time I saw you was at that Smile Perfect patient party at Seven Peaks. I wanted you to remember me.

And you know what? I think you did, maybe just a little.

After that, there was seventh grade Utah History. I remember the seating chart was alphabetical by last name. I remember my last name came right after yours. I remember secretly hoping we could be friends again. Nothing happened.

Now here we are, same school once again. I'm too shy to talk to you, but maybe one day we can be friends again.

Maybe.

Yours 'til the cat meows,
Madison

No comments: